Friday, October 10, 2014

Grain free almond scones with chai glaze

According to the forecast, there's a 100% chance of it raining today. *looks outside* Yep. Rain.

We must have hit October and the fall rains. Sandy-the-boxer, my sometimes dog, is with me this week. She hates storms, so I'm working from home today. Because of the rain and the cool and the fact I'm so rarely working from home these days, it really feels like it's Saturday, and thus the theoretical day of "fancy" breakfast foods and baked goods.

But I wanted something simple. No sorting of various flour types. Mix & bake, and from items in my pantry, since I can't leave the dogs. My pinterest revealed these Grain Free Vanilla Almond Scones, and I thought "aha!"



I can't leave well enough alone, though. One of the recipes I looked at and discarded was for chai scones, but it was much too fiddly. But those flavors, with vanilla and almond...

I'm really happy to say they're tasty. And very simple to put together. 

Grain Free Vanilla Almond Scones with Chai Glaze
barely adapted from Dish By Dish

Scones:
1) 3 cups of almond meal/ground almonds/almond flour
2) 2 teaspoons of gluten free baking powder (or ¾ teaspoon of baking soda)
3) ¼ cup (60g) of butter, soft
4) 1 heaped tablespoon of honey
5) 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
6) 2 eggs

Chai Glaze
1) 1/2 cup powdered sugar
2) 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3) 1 teaspoon milk
4) 1/2 teaspoon chai masala*
5) dash of salt

Preheat oven to 300F. Mix almond flour and baking powder, then add butter, honey, vanilla, and eggs. Mix well into a soft dough, and take the mass and place it on a greased baking sheet or seasoned stone. Pat into a round an inch to an inch and a half thick. Cut into eighths and separate slightly. Bake for 20-30 min, or until just coming brown at the edges. Mix glaze elements, being careful of your milk - the glaze should be about the consistency of glue. Remove from oven & pan and let cool. Drizzle with glaze.

*Chai masala in this case is the powdered spice mix used with tea to make chai. It is commercially available, but I make my own. Recipe here

No comments:

Post a Comment