Monday, October 27, 2014

Gingerbread Waffles




Life has been a little hectic around my house this week/end, and by the end of it, I was totally out of cope. Unfortunately, we'd eaten all the leftovers, and already ordered pizza, so my option last night was cook something.

And because I was totally out of energy, we fell back on the fine family tradition of breakfast for dinner.

These are not mildly gingerbready waffles. I tweaked the recipe some, because the flavors that make it feel like gingerbread are important to me - I don't want waffles with a hint of ginger. They need to be bold and deep and sweet with enough ginger to be noticeable.

I'd made these waffles once before, using my house gluten free all purpose flour (2x sorgum, 1.5x brown rice, 1x tapioca, 1x potato starch). Of course, I've run out, and haven't had time to make up a new batch. However, I did have a package of Bob's Red Mill GF AP in the pantry. Yes, the recipe still works. Thankfully.

If you have a four-square waffle iron, this makes 4 sets. If you're using a Belgian, it makes 5.


ETA, 2021: DO NOT USE NAMASTE FLOUR FOR THIS RECIPE. While it's good for some things, it's hydrophilic to such an extent that I upped the milk to 2 cups and the oil to 1 cup to get a workable but not ideal batter. 


Gingerbread Waffles:
as adapted from The Baking Beuties

    2 cups all purpose gluten-free flour
    1 teaspoon xanthan gum
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 teaspoon ground ginger
    1 cup milk
    1/2 cup molasses
    1/4 cup oil
    2 large eggs

Preheat waffle iron to medium high, or following manufacturer's instructions. Mix dry ingredients. Separately, mix wet ingredients. Pour wet into dry, mix well. Grease your waffle iron, even if it's non-stick - the molasses makes the batter really sticky. Follow your instructions on how to make waffles (for both my 4-square & belgian, pour on batter, close, wait for the light to go off, remove waffle). Eat, with butter, and/or maple syrup, molasses, or salted caramel.
dog, underfoot, wanting batter

No comments:

Post a Comment