Saturday, January 26, 2013

Peach Cobbler

It's a church potluck on Sunday, and I've been experimenting with GF dessert recipies, because finding something edible on the dessert table is always an issue. My weight is happier for it, but now I'm not the only GF person in the congregation. Time to provide.

This summer, I ended up with an overabundance of peaches, so I have a couple of gallon bags in my freezer. I would like the space back, and soon. Part of the bag went for this and the rest is being used in an experiment for next week's recipe.

This is not the"traditional" northern cobbler, made with pie crust. This is a more sourthern version, with a drop biscuit topping.

When I say I don't use many GF substitutions, that's true. But I'm also a midwesterner, with recipes and tastes handed down for generations. Bread is the staff of life. Soup should be served with rolls or sandwiches. And rolls or biscuits are required for large family meals. God bless Bisquik, who make a GF version of their standard mix. I almost always have a box going. It's cheaper than most other mixes, requires less time, and definitely less expensive than the pre made rolls. Also, unlike most GF bread-like-products, it's really hard to tell the difference.

You'll need:

1 24oz bag frozen peaches (or something 3.5-4c worth of peach slices)
1T cinnamon
1 t ginger
1/4 c sugar
1t cornstarch or other thickening agent
2 1/2 c GF bisquik mix
2/3 c milk

preheat the oven to 375. Mix peaches, cinnamon, ginger, sugar, and cornstarch, and place in greased 8x10 or equiv. I use my 4qt casserole or 12" round casserole, because I want depth. Make the biscuit mix, then drop spoonfuls across the top of the peaches until the peaches are mostly covered, or the distribution is relatively even. Like most cooking, this is not exact science land. Bake for 30 min or until a)the juices are boiling *and* b) the biscuits are golden. The timing is going to shift a bit based on your dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment