Monday, November 13, 2023

Broccoli Cheddar Soup

When my spouse moved in to my house almost 10 years ago, he informed me that soup is never a complete meal. It just doesn't have enough substance. 

It took him about 6 months to audibly revise that opinion and start asking for various of my soups for dinner. 

Personally, I have a soft spot for Broccoli Cheddar Soup - I grew up on the Panera (Ok, St. Louis Bread Co., Panera didn't exist yet) version in a bread bowl probably once a week during the busy season.  And last night, I pulled out the instant pot version I've been using for the last several years and went "you know, I should probably actually post my revisions somewhere for bad executive function days."

I started with this Instant Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup recipe from Whole Belly, but I've never been able to resist making changes. In this case, it is to skip the roux, add some protein, and make it easy on the stove. Even without the roux, this makes a...substantive soup.






Broccoli Cheddar Soup

1 medium onion finely diced

2 cups roughly diced/shredded carrots

1T garlic minced (roughly 2 cloves, but garlic is a vegetable, add more if desired)

2 medium to large potatoes, roughly chopped

1 can chickpeas or white beans, drained

6 cups vegetable stock

1 tsp paprika

1 teaspoon dijon mustard

3 cups/2 crowns broccoli florets, divided evenly into 2 (a bag of frozen is the right size, even if they don't fit nicely into the cup measures) 

2 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded

½ cup milk


Put the onion, carrots, garlic, potatoes, beans, and stock on the stove on a medium high heat for 10 min after it comes to a boil or in the IP for 1 min of low pressure and quick release. Then add half the broccoli to the pot, then turn off the head, and blend. I use my stick blender so I don't have to transfer boiling hot liquid, but a food processor or counter top blender also works. Blend until mostly smooth. Add the rest of the broccoli, cheese, and milk and stir for a minute or two, until the broccoli cooks or thaws and the cheese melts. Makes 6-8 servings, technically. Usually serves 3-4 for dinner, as most people have seconds.

No comments:

Post a Comment